Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Infirmitates | Weaknesses

“This High Priest of ours understands our weaknesses, for he faced all of the same testings we do, yet he did not sin.” – Hebrews 4: 15 (NLT)

 


We all know that although we have been saved by the grace of God in Jesus Christ, we still could fall into committing sin. For Jesus himself encourages us to pray and guard ourselves from temptation, as the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak (Matt 26:41).

Temptation lurks everywhere. The world offers worldly pleasure that would cause us to lust and forget the holiness expected from the followers of Christ. Love for the world is also including running after money and make it our main goal. Not to mention the everyday sins - be it impatience, anger, arrogance, uttering harsh words, favoritism in loving people, neglecting our loved ones, laziness to seek God in praying or reading the Bible and many more.

Based on my personal experience, sin would make me feel far from God. As a kind of perfectionist, I was ashamed with myself and thus unable to pray and read the Bible well. I would stay away from God. A friend of mine once shared his struggle on fighting sin. He said, “But where else could I go except to Jesus…” which I found so deeply true.

Where else could we go to get ourselves cleansed? To get rid of the frustration as we fight over sin? Our reading today reminds us of our High Priest, Jesus Christ, who has made the atonement once and forever for us. He is able to empathize with our weaknesses as he has been tempted in every way – yet he did not sin.

When we sin, let us not even run away from Jesus. No matter how heavy or shameful the sin might be. He has won over sin by sacrificing His own life and receiving the wrath of God as a replacement for us. “Therefore he is able, once and forever, to save those who come to God through him. He lives forever to intercede with God on their behalf.” (Heb 7:25).

How great it is to know that Jesus lives to intercede on behalf of me before God the Father! I was touched by His understanding. He knows who I am. I am only dust - incapable of doing good things, but enabled by the Holy Spirit who works inside me. I thank Jesus Christ for because of Him this verse is real – Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need (Heb 4: 16). All the glory be to my God in Jesus Christ. Amen.

 

Reflection on Hebrews 4: 14 – 5: 10 by Desire Litaay


(Listen to the Podcast here)

No comments:

Post a Comment