Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Everyone's heart | EN | IN | ES

Then they prayed and said, "Lord, you know everyone's heart. - Acts 1:24

Photo by Pexels.com


Acts 1:15-26
15 In those days Peter stood up among the believers (together the crowd numbered about one hundred twenty persons) and said, 16 "Friends, the scripture had to be fulfilled, which the Holy Spirit through David foretold concerning Judas, who became a guide for those who arrested Jesus— 17 for he was numbered among us and was allotted his share in this ministry." 18 (Now this man acquired a field with the reward of his wickedness; and falling headlong, he burst open in the middle and all his bowels gushed out. 19 This became known to all the residents of Jerusalem, so that the field was called in their language Hakeldama, that is, Field of Blood.) 20 "For it is written in the book of Psalms, 'Let his homestead become desolate, and let there be no one to live in it'; and 'Let another take his position of overseer.'

21 So one of the men who have accompanied us during all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us, 22 beginning from the baptism of John until the day when he was taken up from us—one of these must become a witness with us to his resurrection." 23 So they proposed two, Joseph called Barsabbas, who was also known as Justus, and Matthias. 24 Then they prayed and said, "Lord, you know everyone's heart. Show us which one of these two you have chosen 25 to take the place in this ministry and apostleship from which Judas turned aside to go to his own place." 26 And they cast lots for them, and the lot fell on Matthias; and he was added to the eleven apostles..

Reflecting on the Scripture passage, where Peter preached boldly among believers. He preached about the one who had betrayed Jesus on the night He was arrested. How nothing escapes the sight of of our Almighty God. That this act of betrayal was foretold by King David, most famously cited by Bible scholars as the verse in Psalm 41:9: "Even my close friend, someone I trusted, one who shared my bread, has turned against me. " (Psalm 41:9, NRSVCE) 

Yet, even in this betrayal, Jesus said nothing to condemn Judas, His betrayer. He offered him numerous chances in the Upper Room to confess and repent from what he was about to do to his Master. As St John wrote in 1 John 1:9 : "If we confess our sins, he who is faithful and just will forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. " (1 John 1:9, NRSVCE) 

As Oscar Wilde had wisely observed: "Every Saint has a Past, Every Sinner has a Future." It's not God's Plan to have any man perish. Yet the God of Heaven and Earth will not force His free gift of Salvation unto any man, woman or child. It is a gift freely given by God through the one-time Perfect Sacrifice of our Lord Jesus Christ. 

I'll close this short reflection with one of my favourite songs by Maranatha Singers: He Knows My Name.

He Knows My Name 
Verse1 
I have a Maker 
He formed my heart 
Before even time began 
My life was in his hands 
Chorus 
He knows my name 
He knows my every thought 
He sees each tear that falls 
and He hears me when I call

Verse 2 
I have a Father 
He calls me His own 
He'll never leave me 
No matter where I go 

(Repeat Chorus) 

Copyright C
CLI Song # 2151368 
Song writers: Tommy Walker (The Maranatha Singers)

Reflection on Acts 1:15-26 by Chris Tan

No comments:

Post a Comment