Thursday, December 14, 2023

Weep

"But as he came closer to Jerusalem and saw the city ahead, he began to weep. How I wish today that you of all people would understand the way to peace. But now it is too late, and peace is hidden from your eyes" - (Luke 19:41-42)

Pexels.com

Reflecting on this pivotal moment in Jesus' brief, yet life-transforming ministry on Earth, Jesus wept over the city of Jerusalem. The crowd who waved palms and welcomed Him with joy, while singing. "Hosanna! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord, even the King of Israel!" and welcomed His triumphal entry into the city of David. That same crowd would be the same snarling lips that spat on and mocked a dying Savior with these cruel words:  "You who would destroy the temple and rebuild it in three days, save yourself! If you are the Son of God, come down from the cross."

Which was why the blessed apostle James exhorted us the New Testament believers to conscientiously guard our tongues. Tongues can be used as instruments of blessing or cursing and is akin to a small fire that can set an entire forest aflame, and can destroy another man or woman's image who are made in the likeness of God. James 3:9-10 (ESV): "With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God. 10 From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so."

I'm reminded that each time I'm stirred to anger, that I have a choice to bridle my tongue or lash out at the other person, who is made in the image of God. Or do I choose to imitate our LORD Jesus Christ. In the presence of His enemies who wanted Him dead, He never lost His cool nor lash out at anyone as Isaiah had prophesied more than 600 years before Christ's birth. Isaiah 53:4-7 (ESV)"Surely He has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows; yet we esteemed Him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted. But He was pierced for our transgressions; He was crushed for our iniquities; upon Him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with His wounds we are healed. All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned—every one—to his own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all.  He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth; like a lamb that is led to the slaughter, and like a sheep that before its shearers is silent, so he opened not his mouth."

Our LORD Jesus Christ, whose heart always reflect the heart of our Father in Heaven. A heart that bleeds and aches for a sinful fallen human race that continues to reject His message of love and freely given Grace of Salvation, is just like the Prodigal Father. That father who ran to his wayward son. The moment he saw the silhouette of the repentant boy walking ashamedly home after squandering his inheritance on wine and women. 

I'm reminded of the times I've fallen and rejected God's forgiveness and mercy to me by treating another human harshly or spoke out angrily at someone.

I will close my sharing with this beautiful poem written by Christina Joy Holmes: 

I asked the Lord to give me love -
His love for souls in sin;
Instead He gave me weeping eyes,
A broken heart within.

I asked Him why He gave me tears,
He took me back in time
To when my Savior lived on earth,
When He was in His prime.

I saw Him go to where His friend
Was lying in a grave;
The sisters and their friends were grieved -
What love to them He gave.

You see my Savior standing there
Was also grieved that day,
He wept great heaving tears with sobs
Till those who saw could say:

"Behold we see now how He loved."
His tears revealed His heart
His love was evident through tears -
I saw God's point in part.

And then He took me to the day
The people hailed their King
While Jesus enters to their cheers
The children run and sing.

But when He saw Jerusalem
Stretched out before His eye,
His soul was moved with grief for them;
It moved His heart to cry.

Oh, as I read those solemn words
I feel that they are sweet
For in them I behold His love
So perfect and complete.

To one more place He took me now,
At midnight I beheld
The Son of God bowed down with grief
In deepest sorrow held.

I heard His weeping, strong and deep,
But through it I discerned
He prayed for me - it melted me,
His love for me I learned.

With tearful joy I thanked the Lord
For answering my prayer,
For giving me His love for souls -
His tears, His heart, His care.


https://www.hoperefined.com/ (More of Christina Joy Holmes' poems can be found on blogsite: Hope Refined)

Reflection on Luke 19: 28-48 by Chris Tan


No comments:

Post a Comment