Saturday, July 1, 2023

Deprecatio | Prayer

But the angel said to him, "Do not be afraid, Zechariah, for your prayer has been heard. Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you will name him John" - Luke 1: 13.

Photo by Arina Krasnikova on Pexels.com

Reflecting on the interactions between the angel Gabriel and Zechariah, it amazes me how God is consistent in bringing His salvation plan to fruition. Also how His power is made manifest in our weaknesses. Like how Abraham and Sarah had conceived the chosen son Isaac in their old age, when it was biologically impossible. Yet the God of I am Possible opened the womb of Sarah and made her the mother of Isaac (from the Hebrew word meaning laughter) in her old age. This signified the joy, much-awaited joy, this elderly couple had experienced after a long wait of over two decades from the time God had first revealed to Abraham his future blessing to be a father of many nations. Similarly, God had been audibly silent to Israel for more than 400 years, when the angel Gabriel revealed the birth of John the Baptist, who was destined by God to be a forerunner of the Messiah. 

Here is the beautiful prayer by Zechariah when it was time to circumcise the child: 

Luke 1:68-79 
"Praise be to the Lord, the God of Israel, because he has come to his people and redeemed them.
He has raised up a horn of salvation for us in the house of his servant David
(as he said through his holy prophets of long ago),
salvation from our enemies and from the hand of all who hate us -
to show mercy to our ancestors and to remember his holy covenant,
the oath he swore to our father Abraham:
to rescue us from the hand of our enemies, and to enable us to serve him without fear
in holiness and righteousness before him all our days.
And you, my child, will be called a prophet of the Most High; for you will go on before the Lord to prepare the way for him,
to give his people the knowledge of salvation through the forgiveness of their sins,
because of the tender mercy of our God, by which the rising sun will come to us from heaven.
to shine on those living in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the path of peace."

Reflecting on the Canticle of Zechariah in Luke 1:68-79, I can't help but be amazed at the faith of the childless couples in the Bible: Abraham & Sarah, Rebekah & Isaac, Rachel & Jacob, Manoah & his wife, Hannah & Elkanah and Elizabeth & Zechariah. How they waited in spite of the apparent barrenness that they experienced. Long agonizing years of waiting upon the Lord, until the promises of God were fulfilled with miraculous childbirths as long-awaited answers to desperate prayers.  While I on the other hand, after facing some life challenges or delays in prayers answered, had raised angry fists towards heaven, and had even attempted to run away from God. Yet God the Father in Heaven (in His infinite wisdom and mercy) had never let me go, but instead pursued me with a relentless love that stretches into eternity.

I will close with this beautiful worship song Oceans (Where Feet May Fail) by Hillsong.

May this be a prayer song for us: "Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders, let me walk upon the waters wherever You would call me. Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander and my faith will be made stronger in the presence of my Saviour" as the Lord leads each of us into deeper waters of trust, faith, and discipleship.

Oceans (Where Feet My Fail)
Verse 1
You call me out upon the waters
The great unknown where feet may fail
And there I find You in the mystery
In oceans deep my faith will stand

Chorus
I will call upon Your Name
And keep my eyes above the waves
When oceans rise
My soul will rest in Your embrace
For I am Yours and You are mine

Verse 2
Your grace abounds in deepest waters
Your sovereign hand will be my guide
Where feet may fail and fear surrounds me
You've never failed and You won't start now

Bridge x6
Spirit lead me where my trust is without borders
Let me walk upon the waters
Wherever You would call me
Take me deeper than my feet could ever wander
And my faith will be made stronger
In the presence of my Saviour

Last Chorus
I will call upon Your Name
Keep my eyes above the waves
My soul will rest in Your embrace
I am Yours and You are mine

Songwriters: Joel Houston / Matt Crocker / Salomon Lighthelm
Oceans (Where Feet May Fail) (Reloaded) (audio) lyrics © BMG Rights Management, Capitol Christian Music Group, DistroKid, Songtrust Ave


Reflection on Luke 1:1-25 by Chris Tan

No comments:

Post a Comment