Sunday, September 4, 2022

Ira Dei | God's Wrath

"For God's wrath is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, suppressing the truth in unrighteousness." — Rom 1:18  




I think it is a very difficult passage for me personally. I felt a kind of sadness when I read it for the first time. I didn't want our God to be angry at people and I felt that it couldn't be the truth. I found the answer in this sentence: Ungodliness which is a wrong attitude toward God results in a rejection of truth.

It is easy for us to think that God revealed himself in the creation of the world, and we can see his eternal power and divine nature every day. The universe was always intended by God to show his glory to us. But unfortunately many people still suppress the truth. Saint Paul mentions that in his letter. 

Even when we are not doing anything particularly bad but just suppressing the truth of God - that is offensive to God. Suppressing is deeply offensive to God. We swap God and we worship other things instead. We worship people, things and experiences as if they are going to give us meaning and satisfaction. 

Saint Paul says God is revealing his wrath and we don't often believe what he tells us. For many years I thought that  God was love and how could he be angry? But when we think for a second if you were married and caught your spouse cheating would you be right to be angry? Or let's imagine that my son who lives with me in our flat suddenly stopped talking to me and behaved like I wasn't there. That would hurt me deeply. If you were indifferent you said it doesn't matter. 

So, love and anger can come together. God is right to be angry. It's not just we do bad things but it's that we have done the worst thing. We have rejected him. We need to answer a question: Do we really feel in our hearts the need to be right with God by faith in Jesus? Or maybe we suppress that truth?

 


Reflection on Romans 1:16-32 by Sylwia Stepien
(Listen to the Podcast here)

No comments:

Post a Comment