Friday, September 30, 2022

Liber Generationis | Genealogy of Jesus

"This is the genealogy of Jesus the Messiah the son of David, the son of Abraham..." — Mat 1:1 (NIV) 




Dearly beloved brothers & sisters-in-Christ,

When I had first become a believer in 2005, I skimmed over the Genealogy of Jesus as I found it dry and uninteresting. A list of Jesus' ancestry through the line of Abraham, and eventually his father Joseph, whose ancestry could be traced back to King David, in fulfilment of God's Promise to King David of an eternal kingdom through his offspring. It was only through years of studying OT and NT texts that I have begun to appreciate the beauty and faithfulness of an eternal and unchanging God to a people who have disappointed or angered Him again and again. Seeing the names of men and women with chequered pasts listed in Jesus' ancestry gives me renewed hope of God's power in authoring His Story within my own chequered history.

The list includes:-
1) A serial liar (Abraham) – who lied more than once about his spousal relationship to pagan kings, and yet courageously bargained with God for the fate of a city, destined to be destroyed by God's Holy Fire, and bore a son (promised by God) in his old age, when it was humanly impossible.
2) A prostitute in Jericho (Rahab) – who helped 2 Israelite spies and gave them victory over their enemies.
3) An adulteress (Bathsheba) – who committed adultery with King David when she was married to Uriah, and gave birth to one of the wisest king in human history
4) A king who committed adultery and murdered his loyal soldier (King David) – yet was beautifully restored after his wholehearted repentance and confession upon being confronted by the prophet Nathan. 

Reading about the lives of imperfect men and women used mightily by God in writing His story, gives me hope that God truly works all things for our good, cf. Romans 8:28:

"We know that all things work together for good for those who love God, who are called according to his purpose."

I will close my reflection with this beautiful song by Bethel Worship that sings of God's Goodness, and as King David had written so beautifully in his beloved Psalm 23:6:

"Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord my whole life long."


Goodness of God
Verse 1
I love You Lord
Oh Your mercy never fails me
All my days
I've been held in Your hands
From the moment that I wake up
Until I lay my head
I will sing of the goodness of God

Chorus
All my life You have been faithful
All my life You have been so, so good
With every breath that I am able
I will sing of the goodness of God

Verse 2
I love Your voice
You have led me through the fire
In darkest nights
You are close like no other
I've known You as a father
I've known You as a friend
I have lived in the goodness of God

Bridge
Your goodness is running after, it's running after me
Your goodness is running after, it's running after me
With my life laid down, I'm surrendered now, I give You everything
Your goodness is running after, it's running after me

Singer: Brian and Jenn Johnson, Bethel Music
Album: Victory (Live)



Reflection on Matthew 1:1-17 by Chris Tan

No comments:

Post a Comment