Thursday, September 15, 2022

Doces te ipsum | Teach yourself

“- you, then, who teach others, do you not teach yourself?...” — Rom 2:21 (NIV)


When I was ordained as a catholic diaconate, there was a ceremony in the Cathedral where the Bishop gave me the Bible and said, “Receive this gospel of Jesus Christ. Believe what you read. Teach what you believe. Practice what you teach."

These words from the Bishop have always been in my head, especially when I am preaching. It was so hard to preach when I realized that my life was often far from what I preached. When I meditate and research the Scriptures, it is actually the Scriptures that investigate me. I am preached by my own sermon.

Many people are disappointed with Christianity because they see the actions of Christians and even God's servants as stumbling blocks. Although not all, but religious hypocrisy can make people blaspheme against God. People who are supposed to need God become rejecting God because of our deeds which are often contrary to what we teach. How many people no longer want to come to church to hear the gospel because of the behavior of the evangelicals.

“- you, then, who teach others, do you not teach yourself?” (Rom 2:21). These words of Paul are addressed to the Jews who often boast of their knowledge and spiritual activities while their lives are far from what they teach. Paul's words are also addressed to us. When you read the Bible every day, do you apply the truth to yourself? How do you allow yourself to be taught by the Word of God?

I know many people whose lives live up to what they teach. Their words are truly meaningful and carry a powerful impact. Many people are drawn to Christ through their testimonies. May the evidence of our lives brings more and more people to Christ. Amen.



Reflection on Romans 2:17-29  by Fr. Fransiskus Diaz, SVD
(Listen to the Podcast here)

No comments:

Post a Comment