Sunday, September 25, 2022

Gratia regnet | Grace rules

"So just as sin ruled over all people and brought them to death, now God's wonderful grace rules instead... resulting in eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord" —Romans 5:21 (NLT) 

Photo by Jozef Trzebuniak


As one man’s sin – Adam, brings death to everyone, God doesn’t leave us alone struggling with sin and its consequences. “Because one person disobeyed God, many became sinners. But because one other person obeyed God, many will be made righteous” (v.19). God steps in with his wonderful grace and his gift of righteousness through Jesus Christ. For all who receive this gift in Christ will live in triumph over sin and death (v.17).

Today I learn much about love. This passage tells us, “…But as people sinned more and more, God’s wonderful grace become more abundant” (v.20). This shows how great our God’s heart towards us. “He will not always accuse, nor will he harbor his anger forever; He does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities” (Psalm 103:9-10).

This also answers some cynical opinions, on how unfair God is, that men must be responsible for their choices of life which lead to heaven or hell. But God doesn’t just rest in heaven, in fact, God the Father sent his own Son, the second person of the Triune God, to do the hard job. He suffered tremendously as a ransom for the sinners and for those who believe in Him will inherit an eternal life (John 3:16).

Being a perfectionist oftentimes makes me feel overwhelmed. I want to be a good person, and when I fail I feel so miserable and become so hard on myself. But this is not what the scripture tells. I am not supposed to be a perfect person, because sin ruled over all people and brought us to death. But now God’s wonderful grace rules instead, giving us right standing with God and resulting in eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord (v.21). Praise be to God. His grace rules over me, enables me to have an eternal life which is not based on what I do, but on His love. He understands my imperfections, for He knows I am only dust (Psalm 103:14). It humbles me. His love encompasses my nature. It fascinates me. Now I rest all my life in His hands even want to please Him more as my gratitude. What a perfect example to follow in real life. How love wins people. 



Reflection on Romans 5:12-21 by Desire Litaay
(Listen to the Podcast here)

No comments:

Post a Comment