Sunday, June 13, 2021

Sit Ignis Probabit | Revealed with Fire

"...It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person's work." — 1 Cor 3:13




Reflecting on my personal journey from an idol worshipper into a worshipper of the Lord of Heaven and earth, I've come to appreciate the power of the Holy Spirit's Refining Fire that burned away sinfulness and dross that reigned in my heart until the day I invited Jesus into my heart with His Glorious Light. As St. Peter wrote in his first letter about the secret to experiencing joy in the midst of fiery trials in this life. "In all this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that the proven genuineness of your faith - of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire - may result in praise, glory and honour when Jesus Christ is revealed" (1 Pet 1:6-7).

Indeed, there was a war over my soul and my heart, as strongholds of dark and shameful addictions had imprisoned my heart and mind in chains even as a child of God. I could not discern God's Voice because of a loud condemning voice that constantly barked in my mind, "How can you say God loves you? You have a dirty and perverted mind".

However, thanks be to God, that the Holy Spirit lives in me even as I was walking through the dark valleys of earthly sorrows after losing my marriage and sanity. Through time God's Light started to penetrate the dark spaces in my heart and mind and dispel the lingering dark thoughts and memories. I was finally able to discern my Abba Father's still small Voice who whispered in the quiet space of my soul, "My child, I love you more than you can ever know nor imagine, I love you so much that I gave My only Son to die for you."

Thus, I was able to tune into the still small Voice of my Abba Father Who constantly whispered, "I love you, my child." And to finally experience the peace which surpasses human understanding as described by St. Paul in his letter to the young church in Philippi (Phil 4:6-9), even as he was a prisoner in chains for Christ:

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your request to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent of praiseworthy - think about such things.  Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me - put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you."

Amen.

 


 

Reflection on 1 Corinthians 3:11-23 by Chris Tan

No comments:

Post a Comment