Saturday, July 18, 2020

Virtus in infirmitate (2 Cor. 12:9)


Growing up my parents taught me a cultural moral value that I continue to practice everywhere, every day, and whenever the opportunity comes. That moral value is that young people must help the elders of their community. Whenever I see any elderly person, I run to help. Because it has become the moral duty that I have to perform. However, in my first year in the US, I struggled with this moral value as I was trying to integrate myself into the community. I often ran to my elderly confreres who were trying to do something, and they often rejected my help saying: “No! thanks! I can do it.” In the end, I learned that allowing someone to help you is a sign that you are either too weak or old enough to go to a nursing home. What is going on in this story is that no one wants to recognize that he or she is weak enough to be helped. Thus, only the person who recognizes his or her weaknesses can accept the help that others are offering. How many of us are rejecting the help of the Holy Spirit in our lives? How many of us are unable to recognize that they are weak and need help? This is where I find the invitation that today's second reading is offering us. This invitation is to recognize our weaknesses and allow the Holy Spirit to help us.

Therefore, one of the main reasons that we do not pray as frequently as we should is our pride. We do not pray as fervently as we ought because we do not recognize how weak we are. If we knew ourselves to be weak, we would always come to the Lord and crying out for His strength. We fail to pray because we think that we are strong enough to handle life without God. This implies that we do not need Christ in our lives because of our strength. Jesus has nothing to do with us because we are self-sufficient.

And Jesus came for the weak, not for the strong. If we want to meet Jesus, we should go to the weak. He or she who knows his or her weaknesses knows himself or herself better. If we want to meet God who lives in us, we should discover where our weaknesses are. Hence, let us stop searching for God and search for weaknesses. Let us stop searching God’s will and search where our hearts are. “And the one who searches hearts knows what the intention of the Spirit is.” God does not confront us or condemn us for being weak. Rather, He sends His Spirit to help us in our weakness. And so, God tells, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” (2 Cor. 12:9) And enjoin our voices to that of St. Paul and say, “Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore, I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ’s sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong.” (2 Cor. 12:9b-10). In other words, anytime I boast on my strength, I am running away from God's grace. I am no longer fit to receive the help of God.

God graciously gives the Holy Spirit to help us by interceding for us in our weakness. For, “The Spirit comes to the aid of our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes with inexpressible groanings.” (Rom. 8:26) So, the Spirit helps us by praying for us in our weakness. What an encouragement!

Also, “And the one who searches hearts knows what is the intention of the Spirit because he intercedes for the holy ones according to God’s will.” (Rom. 8:27) This statement implies that the Spirit takes our deepest feelings and unexpressed needs to the Father, who understands everything perfectly. Hence, let us stop searching for God elsewhere and search for weaknesses. Let us stop searching for God’s will and search where our hearts are. If we find our hearts, our prayers should come from these hearts. If we find our weakness, they should become the reason for our faith in God.

This an assurance that we are not alone in our struggles. This is an affirmation that we are sons and daughters of God because God’s Spirit is in our hearts, and It constantly prays with and for us. The questions that remain to be answered individually or communally are: do I profess that I am a child of God? Do I recognize and acknowledge that God’s spirit lives in my heart? What is then my main hindrance to prayer? How can I overcome it?

By Fr. Ouwakpare Victorin Oussoi, SVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment