Friday, February 11, 2022

Gratia Dei | The Grace of God

"While they were stoning him, Stephen prayed, 'Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.'" — Acts 7:59 (NIV) 





The verses today spoke of the stoning of Stephen. I have read elsewhere that early Christians were indeed persecuted in Rome, and so reading the passages today gave me more insights and somehow allowed me to better understand what is happening at these verses.

What amazes me the most is how Stephen is seemingly filled with peace - despite the commotion around him. Truly, this kind of peace must come only from such an authentic source that it can see Stephen through the persecutions and the stoning. What a blessing it must be to see Jesus amidst all the persecutions. I cannot even begin to imagine what he must be going through at that time. Only the grace of God could have sustained him through his ordeal.

Towards the end, Stephen even managed to pray for the people stoning him. He lifted in prayer that may these persecutions not be held against these people. Truly, truly only through grace, the grace of God can you love despite the hatred thrown against you.

Now, I ask myself - can I stand up for my faith, the same way Stephen did? Can I find peace amidst the troubles and tribulations of this world? Can I genuinely pray for people who persecute me? I honestly don’t know. But the bible also said - I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. And thankfully so. Because I know in my heart that I can only do those things by the grace of God.




Reflection on Acts 7:54-60 by Blessie Sto Tomas 

(Listen to the Podcast here)

No comments:

Post a Comment