Monday, February 7, 2022

Facies Angeli | Face of An Angel

"And all who sat in the council, looking steadfastly at him, saw his face as the face of an angel." — Acts 6:15  
Reflecting on the historical accounts by St. Luke, on the stoning of St Stephen, I find it most amazing that St Stephen was not only able to keep his peace in the kangaroo court that was falsely charging him, but also exuded a holy glow that even his accusers had noticed that he bore the face of an angel. A moment which reminded me of our LORD's own unjust trial prior to His crucifixion, and the pagan Roman officer who exclaimed "Truly, this was the Son of God!", when he witnessed Jesus' death on the Cross. Also as King David had penned in Psalm 8, "What is man that You are mindful of him, And the son of man that You visit him? For You have made him a little lower than the angels, And You have crowned him with glory and honor." (Psalm 8:4-5)

Surely, all of us are called to bear the image of God. And the only way we can achieve His Glory, is to allow the Holy Spirit to overshadow our hearts and minds, and to see the world through God's eyes, and hearts that beat along with God's Heartbeat, to love a hurting world in need of a Saviour. As St John had written, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." (John3:16)

I will end my short reflection with the beautiful words of this Hillsong worship song. 

"The Power of Your Love"

Lord I come to You
Let my heart be changed renewed
Flowing from the grace
That I've found in You

Lord I've come to know
The weaknesses I see in me
Will be stripped away
By the power of Your love

Hold me close
Let Your love surround me
Bring me near
Draw me to Your side
And as I wait

I'll rise up like the eagle
And I will soar with You
Your Spirit leads me on
In the power of Your love

Lord unveil my eyes
Let me see You face to face
The knowledge of Your love
As You live in me

Lord renew my mind
As Your will unfolds in my life
In living everyday
By the power of Your love




Reflection on Acts 6:8-15 by Chris Tan

No comments:

Post a Comment