Monday, March 25, 2024

Credere | Believe

"For even his own brothers did not believe in him" – John 7:5


Pexels.com


Less Disbelief, More Faith

1. After this, Jesus went around in Galilee. He did not want to go about in Judea because the Jewish leaders there were looking for a way to kill him. 2 But when the Jewish Festival of Tabernacles was near, 3 Jesus’ brothers said to him, “Leave Galilee and go to Judea, so that your disciples there may see the works you do. 4 No one who wants to become a public figure acts in secret. Since you are doing these things, show yourself to the world.” 5 For even his own brothers did not believe in him.

The setting of this passage takes place at the near celebration of Festival Tabernacles or Feast of Booths, where people commemorate how God liberates Israelites from their enslavement in Egypt. The passage depicts the chronicle of Jesus’ brethren, who instructs Him to set out to Judea to expose Himself and perform His wondrous works so more people recognize Him. Before this event, in chapter 6, it is narrated that Jesus feeds five thousand, and He walks on the water.

The advice to go to Judea and perform more miracles seems to come from people who have first-hand experience with the miracles alone and long for others to see these wonders on their own. Nevertheless, after this request and conversation, a startling fact is revealed in the passage (verse 5). It is written that these brothers who see the miracles in their own eyes do not believe in Jesus. What does it mean? What happens? How come? Does this situation refer to the fact that they do not think Jesus does these miracles on His own? Or do they urge Jesus to do more stupendous things because they want more proof and evidence of His greatness and power? I think their disbelief surfaces from the second one; they want Jesus to perform more and more.

Don’t you think that we might once behave like Jesus’ brothers? If I looked back, I felt embarrassed when there was a moment when I kept asking God to show me His ways and His will over my problem. In one of the dark episodes in my life, I should make a crucial decision. At the time, I could have chosen to leave this behind, and I could start afresh. However, I decided not to back off and miss out on this challenging experience. I did it not to prove that I was a superhero and to show off how good, capable, or strong I was. I firmly believed that this situation was one of the ways to experience God’s love and presence deeper and closer, by stepping out of my comfort zone and letting Him shape me into the better person that He designed.

I prayed and asked Him to show me the solutions and directions. Even though I got a clear answer from the Bible passage, I still remained like Thomas, who kept asking and wondering. This situation stemmed from my disbelief about His mighty power and love. I was in need of more evidence and proof. My sensitivity, heart, and brain were shut down and dominated by my worry, fear, and disbelief. I wanted this challenging situation solved in the blink of an eye. I wanted an answer in my way and my time. I limited God’s works in my insufficient understanding and overlooked that He could work beyond my knowledge and prayers. I ignored the truth that He, God who starts things with me, has battled with me and will complete these things. I felt ashamed of my lack of faith in His never-ending, unwavering, and unconditional love and providence that surpasses anything and anyone in the world.

Then, one passage comforted and strengthened me from Romans 8: 35-39: “ Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? As it is written: “For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.” No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

 A very liberating message came to me after pondering this passage. His Holy Spirit guides me to understand and hold this in my heart. He said, “Dear beloved daughter, nothing can separate you from Me and My love for you, even your suffering, pain, and problems. I have carried on all in the cross. Come to Me and surrender”.

 Reflection on John 7:1-24 by Deisyi

(Listen to podcast here)

No comments:

Post a Comment