Saturday, February 18, 2023

Genu flexo | Kneeling down

"A leper came to him begging him, and kneeling he said to him, 'If you choose, you can make me clean.'" — Mark 1:40 (NRSV) 




Reflecting on the beautiful exchange between our Lord Jesus and the leper, who in his humility, came on his knees and begged the Son of God to heal him. It is lovingly portrayed by the Apostle Mark in 1:40-45. Our Lord's merciful and immediate response to this man's heartfelt pleas: 

"I do choose. Be made clean." 

Jesus' response reminded me of God's loving question to Adam, "Where are you?", after Adam and Eve had disobeyed His Commandment not to eat of the fruit of the Knowledge of Good & Evil. It never fails to amaze me that even though He is our Omniscient and Omnipotent Creator, yet His one desire is to have a personal relationship with a sinful humanity (His creation). 

It must have been a painful and lonely existence for the leper, as an outcast from the Jewish community. It certainly took great courage for Him to appear in a public space, to go on bended knees and made His desperate plea to the Son of God. It gives me a blessed assurance that I too a leper in my heart (of many sins) can have direct access to God's mercy and healing grace if I am willing to humble myself and ask for healing in Jesus' Name. Just like the leper who stepped out in bold faith as recorded in today's gospel from Mark Chapter 1. 

I will close with this beautiful hymn by Twila Paris, as a reminder that Jesus is not only the Son of God, but He's also God's Perfect Redemptive Sacrifice for all sinful humanity.


Lamb of God – Twila Paris 
Verse 1 
Your only Son no sin to hide
 But You have sent Him from Your side 
To walk upon this guilty sod 
And to become the Lamb of God 

Chorus
Sweet lamb of God 
I love the Holy Lamb of God 
Oh wash me in His precious Blood 
My Jesus Christ the Lamb of God 

Verse 2 
Your gift of love they crucified 
They laughed and scorned Him as he died 
The humble King they named a fraud 
And sacrificed the Lamb of God 

Chorus 
Oh Lamb of God, Sweet lamb of God 
I love the Holy Lamb of God 
Oh wash me in His precious Blood 
My Jesus Christ the Lamb of God 

Verse 3 
I was so lost I should have died 
But You have brought me to Your side 
To be led by Your staff and rod
 And to be called a lamb of God 

Chorus 
Oh Lamb of God, Sweet lamb of God 
I love the Holy Lamb of God 
Oh wash me in His precious Blood 
My Jesus Christ the Lamb of God

Songwriters: Twila Paris
Licenses: UMG (on behalf of Sparrow (SPR)); Adorando Publishing, LatinAutor - UMPG, Warner Chappell, Adorando Brazil, Capitol CMG Publishing, LatinAutorPerf, ASCAP, and 8 Music Rights Societies
************************************************



Reflection on Mark 1:40-45 by Chris Tan

No comments:

Post a Comment