Friday, February 10, 2023

Derelictus| Forsaken

About the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, “Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?” That is, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? - Matt 27: 46 (WEB)


Photo by Pixabay on Pexels.com


This well-known verse brings a lot of sadness and emotion to the reader. It is the very last words of Jesus Christ before He died.

These final words of Jesus Christ are a reference from the Messianic Psalm 22. This Psalm is also classified as a Psalm of lament. Laments describes pain and sorrow, but also declare trust in God.

Jesus Christ knew that God will not forsake Him. In John 8:28 we read: “He who sent me is with me. The Father hasn’t left me alone, for I always do the things that are pleasing to him.” However, Jesus Christ's last words still shows us the very deep sorrowful emotions that Jesus Christ experienced on the Cross.

It is human nature to feel forsaken by God during traumatic experiences.  People ask “Why did God let this happen to me?” or “Where was God in my hour of need?”  Such questions were also asked by David in Psalm 22.  But like David and Jesus Christ, by crying out to God, we are also showing our dependence on Him.

So many passages in the Holy Scriptures confirm that we are never forsaken. As David declares in Psalm 23: 4:  "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me."

Let us pray to God and ask Him to help us to put our trust in Him, in every situation. To help us see that He is always in control, no matter what the situation.  

Take a moment now to acknowledge the suffering and sacrifice of our Saviour who gave His life as ransom for many. 


Reflection on Matthew 27: 31-66 by Hanne Teach

(Listen to the Podcast Here)

No comments:

Post a Comment