Monday, December 19, 2022

Misereor | Compassion

"Jesus called his disciples to him and said, 'I have compassion for these people...'" — Mat 15:32 (NIV) 


Photo by Jade on Unsplash



When Jesus withdrew to the region of Tyre and Sidon, a Canaanite woman came to him. I can't help but identify with her. Her daughter was suffering terribly so she asked him for help.

But Jesus kept silent. Yet she didn't give up. Jesus even said that, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel." She came in front of him to kneel and begged for help. But Jesus said "It is not right to take the children's bread and toss it to the dogs." I see he humiliated her. 

But her thoughts were different and said, "Yes, it is, Lord." And she continued, "Even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their master's table." Then she was praised by the Lord, "Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted."

I want to be like her. I often forget who I am and don't be thankful for the blessing. I am ashamed that I took my privilege for granted. I must always remember and be grateful for what privileges God has given me.

Who is with me? It is the Lord who has compassion for us and provides enough to feed 5000 or 4000 or more people.



Reflection on Matthew 15:21-39 by Machiko Nakamura
(Listen to the Podcast here)

No comments:

Post a Comment