Saturday, May 28, 2022

Deo Volente | God's Will

"...I will come back if it is God's will."  — Acts 18: 21 (NIV)





Today’s reading just made me focus on just one phrase from today’s verses: “…if it’s God’s will.” I honestly could not focus on what was happening with St. Paul in these verses as I ponder about “God’s will.”

It spoke to me so much as for the past few days, I have been praying for God’s direction on certain pivotal things in my life. I have been asking God, “What is your will for me, Lord?”

And now this verse. It leaves me more questions than answers:

How do I know God’s will for my life?
How do I differentiate if it’s just my voice I’m listening to, or truly God’s promptings?
Does God’s will change, or is it constant?
There are so many questions in my head on this proverbial “God’s will”. St. Augustine said that our hearts are restless until they rest on God. I want to align my heart’s desires to what God wants, but sometimes the two are just polar opposites. I want to follow God’s will, but sometimes I don’t even know what God really wants for me.

I have been given an advice before that to know God’s voice, you have to recognize His voice when He speaks to you. And how do you recognize His voice? If you spend time with Him regularly, intimately. If we sit in the stillness of our room and sit quietly with Him in the morning. If we spend time with God in prayer, then we will come to hear His voice often, and know His voice when He finally speaks to us – His will.

With all these ramblings in my mind, I remember my key takeaway from our little group’s last reflection – do not be afraid. Let us all walk in peace and settle in God’s love – and be not afraid. If God’s will brings us to it, He will get us through it – whatever it may be.

Today, let us spend more time with the Lord, that we may know His voice, and recognize it when He speaks His will to our lives.



Reflection on Acts 18:18-28 by Blessie Sto Tomas
(Listen to the Podcast here)

No comments:

Post a Comment