Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Exire | Come out

“But Paul, very much annoyed, turned and said to the spirit, 'I order you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her.' And it came out that very hour.” — Acts 16:18 (NRSV)




The kingdom of God is in direct conflict with the kingdom of the spirit of this world, which is why when an earthly ministry is winning souls for Christ, the enemies of the cross will come howling like jackals. Just like how after Paul had commanded the evil spirit to come out of the slave girl and delivered her from slavery to her owners, the apostles were immediately brought before magistrates and thrown into jail. However, our LORD Himself had said these words of comfort that even in the midst of intense earthly persecutions that they'll receive a blessing and reward that far exceeds this earthly life:

“Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.  Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you. (Matthew 5:10-12)

And in another gospel, He comforted His Disciples with these Words:

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. My Father's house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going." (John 14:1-4)

And in yet another gospel account, He comforts them about the troubles they would face after His Resurrection:

“I have said this to you, so that in me you may have peace. In the world you face persecution. But take courage; I have conquered the world!” (John 16:33) and “Do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.” (Matthew 10:28)

Therefore, as a true follower of Christ, I'm reminded to expect many trials and temptations in this life, yet my true wealth is not measured in what I can amass in this limited lifetime, but how many souls have I helped lead to heaven. Amen.

I came across this beautiful worship song titled "Thank You" by Ray Boltz that had really touched my heart. A timely reminder of my real treasures in life as per, Matthew 6:33 – “But strive first for the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.”

YouTube: https://youtu.be/1lVzeS5i8WQ




Reflection on Acts 16:16-24 by Chris Tan

No comments:

Post a Comment