Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Possimus | So that we may be able

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God" — 2 Cor 1:3-4 (ESV)


Photo by laura adai on Unsplash



Looking back on the past 16 years of journeying with the LORD, I can declare today with the benefit of hindsight and much Grace from a merciful God and loving Father, that I finally have a glimpse of what the writer of Hebrews had written in Hebrews 4:14-16: "Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has ascended into heaven, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to feel sympathy for our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are – yet he did not sin. Let us then approach God's throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need".
I am eternally grateful for the fiery trials that He had permitted in my life, that I can now use these difficult experiences to share and bring comfort to those who are suffering from various forms of mental health challenges.

It would be a blatant lie, if I claimed that I experienced a miraculous transformation the moment I had invited Jesus into my heart as personal Saviour and LORD. I was bitter and even furious at God when He didn't answer my prayers then, to heal my broken marriage, my broken mind and heart too. As I look back on those dark and tormenting years of battling sinful addictions and debilitating clinical depression, which brought me into the deep dark pits of suicidal thoughts and even being hospitalised in a mental institution, I finally see the infinite wisdom of our loving Abba Father whose Heart was to mould my character into the likeness of His Son. 

He is using my difficult past struggles and experiences to bring the message of Hope and Recovery to various members of the PSALT Care community, where I am privileged to serve with an amazing team of loving colleagues and friends. I thank God for this beautiful ministry as a mental health advocate and opportunities to share testimonies of how His Grace had brought me out of a very dark place into His wonderful light all for His Glory.

If I hadn't battled with my own clinical depression and general anxiety disorder all these years, I wouldn't be able to comfort those who are experiencing these tough battles in their lives presently. Only because of these fiery trials in life I can join St. Paul in declaring "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God" (Verses 3-4). I will close with the words from this beautiful hymn.

How Deep the Father's Love for Us
How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure

How great the pain of searing loss,
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the chosen One,
Bring many sons to glory

Behold the Man upon a cross,
My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed I hear my mocking voice,
Call out among the scoffers

It was my sin that left Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished

I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection

Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom

Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom

Source: Musixmatch
Songwriters: Stuart Townend (13312)
How Deep the Father's Love for Us lyrics © Thank You Music Ltd.




Reflection on 2 Corinthians 1:1-11 by Chris Tan 

No comments:

Post a Comment