Monday, July 5, 2021

Viri Caput | Head of Every Man

"But I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God... but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or head shaved, then she should cover her head." - 1 Cor 11:3, 6






Looking at Paul's admonishments to the young church in Corinth, it must be taken in the context of the culture during the time of his writing. Long hair was considered as a feminine trait of beauty, whereas men generally kept shorter hair as a sign of masculinity. 

It was also written in a patriarchal era where women with a head covering were generally considered as modest and pure, whereas it was the immoral women who kept their hair loosely or unbound like the woman who had anointed Jesus with perfumed oil and wiped His feet with her unbound hair. Notice that our LORD did not condemn the sinful woman for her chequered past but rather exemplified her use of expensive perfumed oil as a form of extravagant worship that He deserved.

Similarly, I like the famous quote from Oscar Wilde, "Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future." I too had once walked in darkness, speeding on a highway of sensual indulgences towards Hell and eternal damnation and was ignorant of the immense grace that had been poured into my life after an acute stroke. But Jesus Christ had shouted to Heaven, "It is finished!" when He gave up His life on earth for my rightful death as a sinner, forgiven by a merciful God. 

And knowing that Christ is the True Head in my life, I just want to lay down my life at His Feet as a fragrant offering to Him, my LORD, and KING. By recognizing the Godhead in every man, woman and child He brings into my life, including the difficult ones who might seem a lot harder to love by my own power but only by the Grace of the Holy Spirit, can I love as Jesus does. I will close with this simple children's hymn, as a reminder of Jesus' immense love, death, and glorious resurrection for every man, child, and woman...


Jesus Loves Me (This I Know)

Jesus loves me, this I know. For the Bible tells me so. Little ones to Him belong, they are weak but He is strong. Yes, Jesus loves me. Yes, Jesus loves me. Yes, Jesus loves me. The Bible tells me so.

Jesus loves me, He who died. Heaven's gates to open wide. He will wash away my sins. Let his little child come in. Yes, Jesus loves me. Yes, Jesus loves me. Yes, Jesus loves me.  The Bible tells me so.

Jesus loves me, loves me still. Though I'm very weak and ill. From his shining throne on high. Comes to watch me where I lie. Yes, Jesus loves me. Yes, Jesus loves me. Yes, Jesus loves me.  The Bible tells me so.

Jesus loves me He will stay, close beside me all the way. If I love Him when I die, He will take me home on high. Yes, Jesus loves me. Yes, Jesus loves me. Yes, Jesus loves me.  The Bible tells me so.




Reflection on 1 Corinthians 11:1-15 by Chris Tan 

No comments:

Post a Comment