Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Quod abundabat | Everything she had


"For all of them have contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty has put in everything she had, all she had to live on" - Mark 12: 44.


Photo by Kailash Kumar on Pexels.com


As I reflected on the Words of Jesus, recorded by St. Mark, it's remarkably consistent how God, who has divinely created man & woman in His image, sovereignly manages the seasons, the movements of the sun and moon, so that life can be sustained on planet Earth. Above all, God is often described in the Gospel as the merciful God who pays careful attention to the lowly men & women who cried out to God. They are given honourable mentions in the Bible.

The Samaritan woman who met the Son of God while fetching water under the scorching mid-day sun, found her thirst for love finally satisfied by the Living Waters of Christ. She dropped her water and sprinted to her home town bringing the good news of the Messiah and brought salvation to her people, who were disdained by the Jews.

The lowly shepherds who witnessed an Angelic Host proclaiming the joyous birth of a Saviour, quickly ran to Bethlehem and were the hushed witnesses of the miracle Child, who is the Son of God, born in a lowly manger.

The sinful woman who somehow knew that Jesus would die for our sins and broke an expensive alabaster jar of pure nard, that costs about a year's wage, to anoint Jesus's head, and would be remembered wherever this Gospel account is read. 

The boy who surrendered his simple lunchbox of 5 loaves and 2 small fishes to the Lord of Creation. Thousands were fed, even till today millions are fed and encouraged when we partake Holy Communion and remember the deeds of this small boy, whose humble lunch was the miraculous feast for thousands who sat on a windy hill listening to Jesus speaking words from the Father.

Reflecting on Jesus' observation of the poor widow giving out of her poverty to the temple treasury, not because she was flaunting her ability to give, but demonstrating a deep trust in God who will ultimately provide for all that she needs to live. 

Regarding my own giving in terms of service and love to others, I realize that I often fall short of the mark. I have served out of my own convenience rather than to go the extra mile for another man or woman who is also made in God's image.  What have I given to the Lord in terms of my finances, time or even attention through each day?

Do I invite Jesus into every conversation or decision that I make? Or do I use Him as a spare tire when I run out options in my own mind? How can I learn from these humble characters (many of whom are unnamed) who gave themselves wholehearted to share the Gospel when they knew Jesus as Messiah and the Son of God?

I will close my sharing with this beautiful worship song entitled "Alabaster Jar" (inspired by the Gospel account in Matthew 26:6-13, also found in Mark 14:3-9 and John 12:2-8).

                                                            

Alabaster Jar

This alabaster jar is all I have of worth

I break it at Your feet, Lord

It's less than You deserve

You're far more beautiful

More precious than the oil

The sum of my desires and

The fullness of my joy

 

Like You spilled Your blood i spill my heart

As an offering to my King

 

Here I am, take me as an offering

Here I am, giving

Every heartbeat for Your glory take me

Take me

 

This time that I have left

Is all I have of worth

I lay it at Your feet, Lord

It's less than You deserve

And though I've little strength

And though my days are few

You gave Your life for me

So I will live my life for You

 

Like You spilled Your blood i spill my heart

As an offering to my King

Here I am, take me as an offering

Here I am, giving

Every heartbeat for Your glory

Here I am, take me as an offering

Here I am, giving

Every heartbeat for Your glory take me

Worthy, worthy You are worthy

Worthy is the Lord worthy, worthy

You are worthy worthy is the Lord

Worthy, worthy You are worthy

Worthy is the Lord worthy, worthy

You are worthy worthy is the Lord

Worthy, worthy You are worthy

Worthy is the Lord worthy, worthy

You are worthy worthy is the Lord

Here I am worthy, worthy

Take me You are worthy

As an offering worthy is the Lord

 

Here I am worthy, worthy

Giving You are worthy

Every heartbeat for Your glory

Worthy is the Lord take me

Take me take me

Take me take me, Lord

 

You are worthy Lord Your spirit is here

The spirit of God is here moving our minds

Take me make me Yours

I am Yours, You are mine

I am Yours, You are mine you are mine, Lord

Glory to the King glory to our Lord

We worship You alone worship You alone

 

Worthy, worthy You are worthy

Worthy is the Lord worthy, worthy

You are worthy worthy is the Lord

Worthy are You Lord worthy, worthy

Yes, You are worthy worthy is the Lord

Worthy, worthy You are worthy

Worthy is the Lord


YouTube link: Alabaster Jar

SourceLyricFind

Songwriters: Walker Beach / Zach Neese

Alabaster Jar lyrics © Capitol CMG Publishing, Integrity Music



Reflection on Mark 12:35-44 by Chris Tan

No comments:

Post a Comment