Thursday, June 23, 2022

Consummem Cursum | Complete The Task

"...my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me" - Acts 20:24 (NIV)






Today’s readings is about Paul’s Farewell to the Ephesian Elders. For me, it spoke about closures and endings.

Verses 23 to 24 were so poignant and so grounded:
"I only know that in every city the Holy Spirit warns me that prison and hardships are facing me. However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace."

It showed how clear Paul’s mission was to him, a mission to testify the good news, and how he was willing to endure hardships while doing this mission. At the end of life, will we be able to say that to ourselves – that we have lived for the purpose God has made us for? Will we be able to endure the hardships that come along as we do this task?

Paul, in his conversion, give us hope that we, too, can do this. Despite our past, we can commit to the Lord to do His will.

I also learned from today’s readings that the passage “It is more blessed to give than to receive” is actually biblical. I have always heard this used, but I didn’t realized it was even biblical. And it’s true – it is more blessed to give than to receive. We give because there is an overflow of blessings in our own lives.

And finally, the last few verses of today’s readings also tell me that Paul was loved. Verse 38 says that “What grieved them most was his statement that they would never see his face again.” Paul will be missed, and it tells me how important to try to do our mission lovingly and with a community. Paul had companions along the way, and I believe this is what God wants us to do as well. To serve amongst brothers and sisters, and to do so lovingly.



Reflection on Acts 20:13-38 by Blessie Sto Tomas
(Listen to the Podcast here)

No comments:

Post a Comment