Saturday, December 18, 2021

Subdita sit | Subject to the authorities

"Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established..."  — Romans 13:1-7 

Photo by Katie Moum on Unsplash

 

Reflecting on the introductory line by St. Paul, our earthly authorities too are subject to the Sovereignty of God. Rebellion against our God-appointed earthly authority is rebellion against God. Our LORD Jesus Christ knew this godly principle when He set the example during His unfair trial by Pontius Pilate. Even though He knew that the charges brought against Him by the Jewish religious leaders were false with an intention to kill Him, He obediently allowed Himself to be sentenced to death by Crucifixion, knowing that this was part of the Father’s Plan to save broken humanity - by His inglorious Death on the Cross, glorious Resurrection and Ascension to Heaven, in order to nail our sins unto the Cross, and set us free from the wages of sin, which is death. 

Similarly, as a follower of Christ, while I am aware of my  rights as a son of God, I am also keenly aware that I’m subject to the governing laws in Singapore and will deserve any punishment the law requires if I blatantly choose to live as a law breaker here, and such lawless behaviour does not please God as He is the One Who appoints godly leaders on earth.

So as long as I’m living as a citizen on earth, obeying earthly authority is also obeying God, because truly I was once a law breaker apart from God, but thanks be to Jesus Christ, our Lord and Saviour, I am set free from the wages of sin, which is death.

I will close with this beautiful Hymn - How Deep The Father’s Love For Us

 

How deep the Father's love for us

How vast beyond all measure

That He should give His only Son

To make a wretch His treasure

How great the pain of searing loss

The Father turns His face away

As wounds which mar the Chosen One

 

Bring many sons to glory

Behold the man upon a cross

My sin upon His shoulders

Ashamed, I hear my mocking voice

Call out among the scoffers

It was my sin that held Him there

Until it was accomplished

His dying breath has brought me life

I know that it is finished

 

I will not boast in anything

No gifts, no power, no wisdom

But I will boast in Jesus Christ

His death and resurrection

Why should I gain from His reward?

I cannot give an answer

But this I know with all my heart

His wounds have paid my ransom



Reflection on Romans 13:1-7 by Chris Tan

No comments:

Post a Comment