Sunday, November 7, 2021

Nihil Damnationis | No Condemnation

"Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death." — Romans 8:1-2 (NIV)


Photo by willsantt from Pexels



If you are in Jesus Christ, God will never condemn you. Condemnation came to human, through the sin of Adam, but God's free gift of justification came to us through Jesus Christ. We were under condemnation in Adam, but now we are in Christ, justified by His grace.

Jesus is God's beloved Son. God loves his Son, so he will never condemn his Son. Salvation is for those who place their faith in Christ. When we put our faith in Christ, God identifies us with His Son. So whoever lives in Christ, loved by God The Father. We were sinners, but we become a righteous person through the suffering and death of Jesus, His Son. As Paul wrote in 2 Corinthians 5:21: "For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God."

This passage brings me to my childhood. It.reminds me about my relation to my dad. Whenever I made mistakes, my daddy always forgave me. Once he condemned me, but after that he hugged me. I never felt guilty before him.. Not like a criminal before the judge. He always considered me as his beloved son.

The problem is how we can be always live "in Jesus"? We can live in Christ if "we walk not after the flesh, but after the spirit" (Rom 8:4). Everyday, we struggle to do what God expects us. God speaks to us every time through His Words, through the Bible, through every single experience, through our neighbors, through our hearts, through our ups and downs. We should try to listen to His voice. When we fault, when we sin, there is always a way back to God. Everyday, even when we sin, we could stand before God as His child, not as a guilty criminal. Now we should bring our great relief every day.

If God is judging based on Jesus' righteousness, and if we live in Jesus, how could we ever be condemned?

 

Reflection on Romans 8:1-4 by Fr. Fransiskus Diaz, SVD

(Listen to the Podcast here)


No comments:

Post a Comment