Saturday, October 16, 2021

Secundum Gratiam | According to Grace

"However, to the one who does not work but trust God who justifies the ungodly, their faith is credited as righteousness." — Romans 4:5





 
Today’s reading was a bit confusing and baffling for me, and I needed to read it a few more times. In the end, it spoke to me of two messages: (1) God is Lord to everyone, and (2) that everything is grace.

Today’s verses remind of this truth – God is for everyone. He has said it thousands of years ago – that Jesus actually came for us sinners! He is not just the Lord of the righteous, but moreso of sinners like me who need Him more. He has that much Love in Him that can contain us all in His Kingdom should we be willing to do so. He never imposes, as this is what it means to have free will, but His invitation is extended to all of us. He is loving, generous and understanding. God is inclusive – and what a comfort that brings to a sinner like me. May this encourage me more to try to sin less every day. This is what Romans chapter 4 verse 12 tells me: “And He is also the father of the circumcised who not only are circumcised but who also walk in the footsteps of the faith that our father Abraham had before he was circumcised.“

The second message to me is this – that everything is grace. Even my faith is grace. Everything is grace, and that grace is open for everyone, should we choose to accept it. How humbling it is to be loved and adored so much by God who has dominion over everything but loves me for all that I am. It reminded me of a line in a book I previously read – we all know that we have a God-shaped void in our hearts that only God can fill, but do you know that in God’s heart, there is also space meant only for you and you alone? And that God will forever hold that space in His heart until we are ready to go home to Him. And for me, this will always be both humbling and amazing.

May we go through life knowing that God loves us and loves us individually, and that everything is grace available for us, should we only choose to receive it. May God bless you today.


Reflection on Romans 4:1-12 by Blessie Sto Tomas

(Listen to the Podcast here)

No comments:

Post a Comment