Friday, January 29, 2021

Regnum Dei | Kingdom of God

He also said, “This is what the kingdom of God is like. A man scatters seed on the ground. Night and day, whether he sleeps or gets up, the seed sprouts and grows, though he does not know how. —Mark 4:26-27 (NIV)



Today's Gospel tells us about the parable of the growing seed. According to verse 28, "All by itself the soil produces grain." This means that while the growth of God's Kingdom can be interrupted here and there, it cannot be stopped. Once sown, the seed's growth is certain and will continue until it is time to harvest. Because God's sovereign plan and purpose are always certain. 

Moreover, like little seeds sown, God's Kingdom will not only grow, it will become large with big branches that provides shade for the birds. With certainty, the greatness of God's Kingdom and its purpose will be fulfilled. 

The parable reminds us that the superior seeds of God's goodness had been sown by God into our hearts. His loving kindness is already planted and growing within us. 

I never thought that I would be infected by the coronavirus. What I had read in the newspapers and seen on television, I have experienced myself. What I did without my knowledge had made a big impact on myself and those around me.

During the pandemic, this gospel reminds us that we should not underestimate the little seeds of kindness we have and those around us. For instance, observing health protocols can have a big effect on ourselves and for others.


Reflection on Mark 4:26-34 by Fr. Fransiskus M. Diaz, SVD

(Listen to the Podcast here)




No comments:

Post a Comment