Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Caritas Dei | Love of God

But those who obey God’s word truly show how completely they love him. That is how we know we are living in him. 1 John 2:5 (NLT)



The first part of today’s reading has readily assured me. We are asked not to sin, but if we do sin, we have Jesus who speaks to the Father in our defense. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins.

How assuring is that? That Jesus Himself will speak for me. What made me worthy of saving from my own sins, from my own faults? And in silent prayer, the answer came to me - Love. God’s love for me has assured me that there is no brokenness that He cannot fix, and that I will never be that lost that God cannot find me.

In my reflection, I even thought - maybe I can just sin, Jesus will save me anyway. But I immediately felt the combined nudge of Mama Mary and my guardian angel at this thought. 

Life is beautiful when we strive to walk in the light, with how God designed us to be. We have the commandments to guide us. He has left us His Word in the holy scriptures to lead our way. 


And today’s reading also impressed to me another point - that if we follow Jesus and declare Him to be our Lord, it has to be seen in the way we live our lives, and in the way we treat others. If we truly follow Jesus, it will show. Jesus shines in our lives if we truly have Him in our hearts. 

This reminded me of one of the messages in the previous Feast of the Epiphanythat how the Magi changed course on their way home after they paid homage to Him in the manger. Nobody encounters Christ and lives to stay the same. A true encounter with Jesus changes us, and brings us to the light.


This is how I see the last few lines of today’s passagesanyone who claims to be in the light but hates his brother is still in the darkness. Letting Jesus into our lives is letting the light in, and it will show. Jesus shines through the people whose lives He has touched. 

May we truly love Jesus, and may this lead us to truly love others because Jesus has changed us. Let us live in the light that Jesus brings into our lives. 


Reflection on 1 John 2:1-11 by Blessie Marie Sto Tomas

(Listen to the Podcast here)

No comments:

Post a Comment