Friday, January 8, 2021

In deserto | In the wilderness

But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed. Luke 5:16 (NIV)


I often forget a few things. When I was about to leave I forgot to bring my motorbike key so I had to go up to my room on the second floor. When everything was ready I forgot that I hadn't put on a mask. Finally I had to go back to the room to get my mask. Besides these, there were incidents when I misplace things or forget where I put things even though I just put them down a while ago. I need time to remember.

Some experiences like these often make me feel annoyed and even think ... am I getting old? Often the urge to do this or do that is much stronger than the urge to pause and ponder. Such experiences make me realize that many things are lost or forgotten in my life because everything seems to be done instantly. How terrible life would be if everything just passed and meaningless.

The Lord Jesus in the Bible always takes His time for prayer and silence. He retired to solitary places and prayed. This is different from a leper who was healed who immediately proclaimed his joy to everyone. How about us? Can we take a moment to be quiet with God?


Reflection on Luke 5:12-16 by Fr. Fransiskus Diaz, SVD

(Listen to the Podcast here)

No comments:

Post a Comment