Friday, May 5, 2023

Ministrare | Serve

"For the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life a ransom for many." - (Mark 10:45)

Photo by Kampus Production on Pexels.com



Reflecting on Jesus' Words in Mark 10, only days before His triumphal entry into Jerusalem.  He attempted to teach His closest followers on what it means to be servant leaders, even though these disciples had followed the Lord and witnessed numerous miracles in His three short years of ministry in Judea. His ministry included miraculous feeding of the multitudes, miraculous catch of fish, the raising of Lazarus from death, freeing of the demon-possessed young man, healing of the sick, opening the eyes of the blind, causing the lame to walk and much more. All these were pointing to Jesus as the Messiah whom the prophet Isaiah was writing about in Isaiah 61. Yet, the disciples' finite human minds were still focused on temporal things on earth such as who would sit with Jesus at the place of honour. This is almost akin to how the Pharisees too were always seen in prominent positions in Jewish society. The Lord reminded them that even He Himself, Who was God's Son came to serve and give His life as a ransom for many.

As I reflected on Jesus' teaching here, I'm reminded of the times I too had acted like the disciples, wanted the limelight in ministry, and placed myself in the throne of my heart instead of enthroning Jesus as the Lord of my heart.

I will close my sharing with this beautiful hymn by Maranatha Singers:  Make Me A Servant

Make me a servant
Humble and meek
Lord let me lift up
Those who are weak
And may the prayer
Of my heart always be
Make me a servant
Make me a servant
Make me a servant today

Make me a servant
Humble and meek
Lord let me lift up
Those who are weak
And may the prayer
Of my heart always be
Make me a servant
Make me a servant
Make me a servant today

Make me a servant
Humble and meek
Lord let me lift up
Those who are weak
And may the prayer
Of my heart always be
Make me a servant
Make me a servant
Make me a servant today

Of my heart always be
Make me a servant
Make me a servant
Make me a servant today 

Source: LyricFind 
Songwriters: Kelly Faye Willard Make Me a Servant lyrics © Capitol CMG Publishing, Universal Music Publishing Group

Reflection on Mark 10:32-45 by Chris Tan

No comments:

Post a Comment