Monday, May 1, 2023

Sequere me| Follow me

“One thing you lack. Go, sell whatever you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me, taking up the cross.” -  (Mark 10: 21)

Photo by Ivan Samkov on Pexels.com



In today's reading of Mark 10:17-31, we can reflect upon the value of sacrifice and perseverance. Mark 10: 29-31 will also show us the equivalent of perseverance, does God recognize them, and what happens to the perseverance in our sufferings.

One of the most popular verses, and the lesson of giving up everything to God, is given in this reading. A man ran up to Jesus, and knelt before Him, to ask Him how to inherit eternal life and how to enter the Kingdom of God. While he knew the commandments, he still was bound to his earthly belongings, saddened to the idea of giving up all to the Lord.

This is something that brings the question to every believer: 'Are we willing to give up everything to the Lord?' Be it our possessions, our pride.  'Are we willing to suffer for Christ?'

In my own experiences, these questions are something that we often brush over, since we're all so bound in our earthly senses and experiences. In order to be rich in Christ, we need to accept Him truly and utterly. Giving up everything for Him, and to suffer for our belief in Him.

I once had to deal with a crossroads as such in my life. Once a lukewarm believer, I once went through a procession from 12am to 6am for an Easter Vigil in a town. Going through all of the Cathedrals and Churches of the area, but this also meant we were greeted by unpleasant people, as well.

The procession to me meant that I didn't have to be ashamed of my beliefs. That I have Christ, and that I have nothing to fear. While many people may criticize us, or wish us ill for our belief in God, I carried my cross happily, and still do, to this very day.

Reflection on Mark 10:17-31  by Cristobal Alvarez  

(Listen to the Podcast here)

No comments:

Post a Comment