Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Filius Hominis| Son of Man

"Those who are ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of them the Son of Man will also be ashamed when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels." – Mark. 8:38

Photo by John-Mark Smith on Pexels.com



Dear friends in Christ, I was just imagining that if Jesus had called the generation of his time as 'adulterous and sinful', what could he have named the present generation? We come across many people who are ashamed to call themselves Christians or people who are ashamed of the word of God. 

We know the next coming of Jesus to this world with all his glory is not to show mercy but to judge the world according to his righteousness. Now, Jesus is willing to show us mercy if we ask him pardon for our sins and try to live a holy life following his word and his teachings. 

We read in Matthew 10:33 – "But whoever denies me before others, I will deny before my heavenly Father." It is not that God is not merciful, he is indeed full of mercy and compassion. The love that God has for us is revealed in the person of Jesus. How much are we grateful to God for this love? What is blocking us to accept the person of Jesus as our personal and only Saviour and obey his word? 

We all know the richness of the word of God. In my life experience, it is only the word of God which speaks directly to the soul. We read in Psalms 119:11 – "I have laid up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you." A person who loves the word of God and who loves Jesus can easily attain eternal life and he is not afraid of the next coming of Jesus rather he is eagerly waiting for his coming to judge the world. 

Let us all be ready to welcome Jesus for his next coming. Amen.

 

Reflection on Mark 8: 27-38 by Fr. George Joseph SVD

(Listen to the Podcast here)

No comments:

Post a Comment