Friday, June 23, 2023

Crucifige eum | Crucify him

Pilate asked them, 'Why, what evil has he done?' But they shouted all the more, 'Crucify him!' - Mark 15: 14.


Photo by Pixabay on Pexels.com

Reflecting on the interactions between Pilate, Jesus and the crowds. Pilate, as the governor representing the authority of Rome, had every power bestowed on him to free Jesus. He was even warned by his wife who had troubling dreams of the fate of this righteous man arrested before Pilate. Yet like many of us, who at times yield to the continual pressures of the people around, who will pressure us into making decisions that go against our own conscience, Pilate made the irreversible decision to free a violent criminal and sentenced Jesus to a long-drawn and painful death by crucifixion. 

I'm amazed at the calmness of our Lord who amid His violent and vociferous enemies, had kept His peace and was wholly surrendered to the salvation plan of our Heavenly Father. This event is depicted with much graphic details by the prophet Isaiah (600 years before our Lord's birth) in Isaiah 53:7-10:

7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he did not open his mouth; like a lamb that is led to the slaughter and like a sheep that before its shearers is silent, so he did not open his mouth.
8 By a perversion of justice he was taken away. Who could have imagined his future?
For he was cut off from the land of the living, stricken for the transgression of my people.
9 They made his grave with the wicked and his tomb with the rich, although he had done no violence, and there was no deceit in his mouth.
10 Yet it was the will of the Lord to crush him with affliction. When you make his life an offering for sin, he shall see his offspring and shall prolong his days; through him the will of the Lord shall prosper.

As I reflected further on the trial scene written by Mark and the prophetic writings of Isaiah 53, I wonder too: how many times have I crucified our Lord, when I acted or spoke unkindly to another person (who is also made in the image of God). How many times have I succumbed to pressures from people around me and like the crowd had shouted, "Crucify Him! Crucify Him!" 

As the hymn writer had penned for us: "It's beyond my comprehension how a sinless Saviour could die for a sinful man like me."

How Deep The Father's Love For Us 
How deep the Father's love for us 
How vast beyond all measure 
That He should give His only Son 
To make a wretch His treasure 
How great the pain of searing loss 
The Father turns His face away 
As wounds which mar the Chosen One 
Bring many sons to glory

I will close my sharing with the words from Man of Sorrows:

Man of sorrows, Lamb of God
By His own betrayed
The sin of man and wrath of God
Has been on Jesus laid

Silent as He stood accused
Beaten, mocked, and scorned
Bowing to the Father's will
He took a crown of thorns

Oh, that rugged cross, my salvation
Where Your love poured out over me
Now my soul cries out, "Hallelujah"
"Praise and honour unto Thee"

Sent of heaven God's own Son
To purchase and redeem
And reconcile the very ones
Who nailed Him to that tree

Oh, that rugged cross, my salvation
Where Your love poured out over me
Now my soul cries out, "Hallelujah"
"Praise and honour unto Thee"

Now my debt is paid
It is paid in full
By the precious blood
That my Jesus spilled
Now the curse of sin
Has no hold on me
Whom the Son sets free
Oh, is free indeed

Now my debt is paid
It is paid in full
By the precious blood
That my Jesus spilled
Now the curse of sin
Has no hold on me
Whom the Son sets free
Oh, is free indeed

Oh, that rugged cross my salvation
Where Your love poured out over me
Now my soul cries out, "Hallelujah"
"Praise and honour unto Thee"

See the stone is rolled away
Behold the empty tomb
Hallelujah, God be praised
He's risen from the grave

Oh, that rugged cross my salvation
Where Your love poured out over me
Now my soul cries out, "Hallelujah"
"Praise and honour unto Thee"
"Praise and honour unto Thee" 

Source: Musixmatch 
Songwriters: Matt Crocker / Brooke Ligertwood Man of Sorrows lyrics 
© Hillsong Music Publishing Australia 

Reflection on Mark 13:1-19 by Chris Tan



No comments:

Post a Comment