Saturday, January 7, 2023

Denarius | A denarius

"But he answered one of them, 'I am not being unfair to you, friend. Didn't you agree to work for a denarius?'" — Mat 20:13 (NIV) 


Photo  from Wikipedia


Reflecting on the parable of the workers in the Vineyard, once again Jesus paints a beautiful picture of God's boundless grace and mercy, and His just scale in dispensing His gifts to each of us. "'Friend, I am doing you no wrong. Did you not agree with me for a denarius? Take what is yours and go your way. I wish to give to this last man the same as to you. Is it not lawful for me to do what I wish with my own things? Or is your eye evil because I am good?' "So the last will be first, and the first last. For many are called, but few chosen." (v13-16).

One of the most dangerous lies of the evil one is to trick our minds into thinking that God is holding something good from us, and being envious of the spiritual giftings of others. Paul wrote in 1 Cor 12 that it is the Holy Spirit who distributes these gifts to each of us. There are different gifts and workings for the kingdom of God, but it is the same God at work in our lives for His Glory.

As I reflected on this passage, I'm reminded of times in the past when my heart was gripped by discontent over my life situation, and that bitter root of discontent had tinted my lens and blinded me to the countless blessings God has poured out into my life, including a miraculous recovery from an acute right-brain stroke, my salvation, and many other blessings. It was only through the Holy Spirit's help and a conscious effort to give thanks that God was able to slowly uproot this evil root of discontent in my heart.

As St Paul reminded us in 1 Thessalonians 5:18:

"Speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord, giving thanks always for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ."

I will close with this beautiful hymn of thanksgiving.


Give Thanks

Give thanks with a grateful heart

Give thanks to the Holy One

Give thanks because He's given Jesus Christ, His Son

Give thanks with a grateful heart

Give thanks to the Holy One

Give thanks because He's given Jesus Christ, His Son

And now let the weak say, "I am strong"

Let the poor say, "I am rich

Because of what the Lord has done for us"


And now let the weak say, "I am strong"

Let the poor say, "I am rich

Because of what the Lord has done for us"

Give thanks


We give thanks to You oh Lord

We give thanks


YouTube Link: https://youtu.be/PYRgB26rPIs

Source: Musixmatch

Songwriters: Henry Smith

Give Thanks lyrics © Integrity's Hosanna! Music



Reflection on Matthew 20:1-19 by Chris Tan

No comments:

Post a Comment