Thursday, June 18, 2020

Ubi est Deus Eliae (2 Kgs 2:14)


When I discovered this text and read this verse, I admired for Elisha’s faithfulness to Elijah. Although Elijah asked Elisha not to follow him to the Jordan Elisha kept following Elijah by his wonderful commitment by saying, “As Yahweh lives and as you live, I will not leave you”. More than commitment, this is a vow. As an oath, Elisha performed his faithfulness until they were separating which Elijah lifted to heaven. 


Elisha’s words to Elijah reminded me when I had made my perpetual vow a couple of years ago. I committed to following Jesus as a religious one. It means this decision has consequences. I have promised God to follow Him on my entire life and God requires me to show my commitment. 


As a religious one, I learn much from many couples about faithfulness. Faithfulness is the way to holiness. Pope Francis in the year 2015 for the first time in the history of the Catholic Church, gave canonization to a couple from France. This couple names Louis and Zelie Martin, parents from Santa Therese of Lisieux. 

 

I am glad to see many families live peacefully, love each other, and they can maintain their relationship until they die. Undeniably, there are so many challenges to be faithful. Like an ark, wave, and wind of problems toss onto the family. Yet, they can get through it until death does them part. 


It is our prayer that may God give mercy of fidelity to religious people and Catholic families. Hence, their lives witness  God’s mercy and loyalty. 


Fr. Aris Mada, SVD


No comments:

Post a Comment